Sands leaves sheriff’s office
Ashe County Wreck Report Jan. 6-13
Buchanan’s credentials, plans for sheriff’s office emerge
Wilkes Central takes down Ashe
Absher steps down following controversial decision
- Hopkins defense attempts to subpoena Jefferson Post - 3:08 pm
- Sands leaves sheriff’s office - 12:08 pm
- Ashe County Wreck Report Jan. 6-13 - 1:15 pm
- Buchanan’s credentials, plans for sheriff’s office emerge - 2:41 pm updated: 3:13 pm.
- Absher steps down following controversial decision - 4:43 pm
- Mudslide forces business evacuations - 3:29 pm
- Commissioners pick Buchanan to serve as new sheriff - 12:34 pm updated: 1:20 pm.
- Community comes together to celebrate MLK Day at Ashe Arts Council - 10:12 am updated: 11:15 am.
- Property owners catch a break with middle school deal - 11:31 am updated: 1:23 pm.
- Leek, Morgan, Widner named to UNC-Asheville Dean’s List - 10:08 am
- With volunteer help, Animal Control facility emptied - 3:18 pm
- WJ cruise-ins up in the air - 6:18 pm
- ACHS students advance in nationwide contest - 4:45 pm
- Coffee House Live! Returns This Saturday - 4:29 pm
- Health Insurance Open Enrollment Ends January 31st - 4:26 pm
- Here’s who’s scheduled to be in district court this week - 4:23 pm updated: 4:23 pm.
- A done deal - 4:23 pm
- Commissioners to vote on new sheriff Tuesday - 11:32 am
- Planning board adds three new members - 11:26 am
- Ashe County Arrest Report Dec. 20 – Jan. 10 - 5:10 pm
- Stuart gives birth to first baby of 2017 - 4:28 pm updated: 4:32 pm.
- Ashe County Crash Report Dec. 21-Jan.1 - 12:15 pm
- Tox Report: Todd man killed in crash was above legal limit - 12:50 pm updated: 1:43 pm.
- 221 widening featured in state imporvement plan - 11:16 am
- Here’s who’s scheduled to be in district this week - 3:56 pm
Leek, Morgan, Widner named to UNC-Asheville Dean’s List
ASHEVILLE-The following students from West Jefferson have been named to UNC Asheville’s fall Chancellor’s List / Dean’s List. To see...
With volunteer help, Animal Control facility emptied
CRUMPLER-Ashe County Animal Control has been a little quieter than normal of late.On Friday, it was nearly silent - all thanks to the steadfast effort...
WJ cruise-ins up in the air
WEST JEFFERSON — The West Jefferson town aldermen met on Jan. 9 with one of the topics of discussion concerning the summer cruise-ins held by th...
ACHS students advance in nationwide contest
JEFFERSON-A team of Ashe County High School students were one of two state winners in a nationwide contest hosted by Verizon Wireless.That’s acc...
Coffee House Live! Returns This Saturday
WEST JEFFERSON-The Ashe County Arts Council will sponsor the Coffee House Live! Saturday, January 14 at 7:30 pm in the Hensley Hall of the West Jeffer...
Health Insurance Open Enrollment Ends January 31st
JEFFERSON-Do you or a family member need health care insurance? Do you have questions about health insurance? The deadline for Health insurance Open E...
Hoops 4 Hope set for Jan. 26
WEST JEFFERSON — It’s that time again to find those pink shirts for the annual Hoops 4 Hope basketball game at Ashe County High School. Friday,...
Wilkes Central takes down Ashe
WEST JEFFERSON — Wilkes Central won all but five matches in last Friday’s meet at Ashe County High School.At 106 pounds, the Eagles got th...
Huskies fall at Wilkes Central
WILKESBORO — In the first meeting of the year between the two rivals, Wilkes Central was able to get the best of Ashe County and remain just one...
High Country sports briefs
Ice Bowl set for Feb. 11JEFFERSON — The annual Ice Bowl at Ashe County Park will bring in packed field of disc golfers willing to brave the pote...
Huskies lose close one to East Wilkes
WEST JEFFERSON — Ashe County’s gym has been a home away from home for East Wilkes guard Joah Logan.Last season, Logan broke the Huskies...
Our view: There’s no ‘R’ in public safety
Many dictionaries define egregious as “outstandingly bad or shocking.”On Tuesday, county commissioners lived up to that moniker, as a boar...
Two different narratives of the same events
We have just witnessed one of the most divisive election campaigns in history, one that saw partisans on all sides spinning narratives to best benefit...
Sen. Sessions is the wrong choice for U.S. attorney general
President-elect Donald Trump’s cabinet nominees will be going through the U.S. Senate confirmation process this month — an opportunity for...
North Carolina Is No Cuba
RALEIGH — Let me say this with as much tact and respect as I can muster: If you truly believe that the level of democracy in North Carolina is i...
Cooper’s correcting a colossal blunder on Medicaid, not making one
The folks on the Right are apoplectic these days that Governor Roy Cooper thinks it’s a good idea to follow the lead of Vice-President-elect Mik...
Make North Carolina great again
For most of the latter half of the 20th century, at least from 1960 on, North Carolina was a state on the move. In contrast to its southern neighbors,...