Spring athletes honored at ACHS
Horton to reappear in Superior Court on stabbing charge
Lawsuit filed in Shatley shooting case
The Worshiper hits the road
The road to removal
- Lawsuit filed in Shatley shooting case - 5:50 pm
- The Worshiper hits the road - 4:00 pm
- Horsing around leads to fender-bender - 2:10 pm
- The road to removal - 12:23 pm updated: 2:00 pm.
- Hopkins due back in court May 30 - 11:51 am
- Barlow, Buchanan squared off in April - 11:15 am
- Hospital seeks $400,000 from county to stabilize finances - 8:14 pm
- Three arrested in West Jefferson drug bust - 7:50 pm
- Carolina West Wireless Announces Successful Results in FCC Low Band Spectrum Auction - 12:44 pm
- Former jailer questions sheriff’s personnel policy - 11:35 am updated: 11:55 am.
- No hope for Fleetwood School - 4:15 pm updated: 12:42 pm.
- Sibaja earns district ‘Teacher of the Year’ honors - 12:30 pm
- Ashe County Ford Hosts Drive One 4UR Community May 20 - 5:42 pm
- Sheriff: There is no jail controversy - 5:06 pm
- Can you hear me now? - 12:35 pm updated: 4:18 pm.
- STEP for Small Business in Lansing Accepting Applications - 9:00 am
- Mental health needs rising in schools - 4:45 pm
- Multiple people transported from scene of US-221 crash Thursday morning - 10:15 am
- ATTENTION: Parents and graduating seniors - 8:29 am
- Discovery of dog bones leads to arrest in animal abuse case - 5:00 pm
- Puddingstone Concert at Ashe Civic Center this Saturday - 2:30 pm
- Museum of Ashe County History continues to enrich locals, tourists - 9:00 am
- Superintendent: Ashe should study year-round school model - 12:14 pm
- One person airlfited following midday crash - 8:00 pm
- Ashe Memorial Hospital continues to push through tough times - 1:30 pm updated: 12:35 pm.
Former jailer questions sheriff’s personnel policy
JEFFERSON-A former employee of the Ashe County Detention Center asked county commissioners Monday morning if it was appropriate for Sheriff Terry Buch...
No hope for Fleetwood School
JEFFERSON-Ashe County Commissioners decided Monday morning to take a hands-off approach concerning the demolition of the old Fleetwood School building...
Sibaja earns district ‘Teacher of the Year’ honors
JEFFERSON-Mountain View Elementary’s Lisa Sibaja was recently named the district’s 2017 Teacher of the Year.That news according to a May 1...
Ashe County Ford Hosts Drive One 4UR Community May 20
WEST JEFFERSON-Test drive a new Ford and Ford will donate $20 to Ashe County Relay For Life for each qualifying test drive, one per household“We...
Sheriff: There is no jail controversy
JEFFERSON-The nascent administration of Ashe County Sheriff Terry Buchanan hasn’t been without its bumps in the road.Appointed in January by the...
Can you hear me now?
ASHE COUNTY-On Oct. 21, 2016, the unthinkable become a reality for emergency personnel and firefighters countywide.The communication system that links...
Braves win Tarheel League tournament
SPARTA — It was an all-Ashe County final in the championship game of the 12U baseball tournament that featured all teams from Ashe, Alleghany an...
Ashe sends 11 to 2A track championship
GREENSBORO — The Ashe County track team completed the 2017 season last Friday at the NCHSAA 2A Track & Field Championship at North Carolina ...
Hagel Memorial Tournament raises money for NEST Alliance
WEST JEFFERSON — The 2017 Carl & Pearl Hagel Memorial Golf Tournament took place on April 29 at Mountain Aire Golf Club.This year, all of th...
Satterfield gets five-year deal to remain at App State
BOONE — After just four conference losses in the last three seasons, it only made sense for Appalachian State University to reward its head coac...
Olympians shine at Ashe County High School
WEST JEFFERSON — A near-perfect weather day greeted a bunch of smiling faces for the annual Ashe County Special Olympics held at the high school...
Two retiring coaches to be honored at ACHS
WEST JEFFERSON — Two long-time coaches and educators in Ashe County have decided that now is the time to call it a career.Keith Phillips and Tom...
Unwise tax breaks, petty partisan attacks and inadequate investments
Senate leaders are trying hard to convince people that their anemic budget proposal moves the state forward by making big new investments in education...
Court fines and fees: Another barrier to NC’s ballot box
How much money do you have to pay before you cast your ballot on Election Day?For most North Carolinians, the answer might seem obvious: none. As the ...
$293 million in teacher money needed to settle class-size debate
On April 27, the General Assembly passed, and the Governor signed, House Bill 13, bringing a temporary reprieve to North Carolina’s great class-...
Average Pay Isn’t The Point
RALEIGH — The average pay received by public school teachers in North Carolina this year was $49,837, up four percent from the 2015-16 school ye...
Can government force behavioral change?
In the late 1970s, I was appointed to the Economic Development Board. At the time I lived in Northeastern North Carolina and believed rural areas dese...
The Right is just getting started
At the conclusion of the whirlwind 2011 session of the North Carolina General Assembly — a session in which new conservative majorities pushed t...