Explosion causes local home to catch fire

James HowellStaff

November 14, 2012

A home on a side-road branching off of N.C. Highway 163, near North Beaver Baptist Church, caught fire after a gas tank exploded, causing the home to be seriously damaged.

According to Ricky Roark, captain of the Ashe County Rescue Squad, neighbors reported the incident at 11:48 a.m., saying the house was covered in smoke and there had been a possible explosion.

Roark confirmed the damage was “caused by the ELP gas tank exploding.”

Glendale, Jefferson and West Jefferson volunteer fire departments, along with the Ashe County Rescue Squad, arrived on the scene shortly after the fire was reported.

A representative from Blue Ridge Electric also arrived on the scene to cut the home’s power.

By 12:30 p.m., the fire had been nearly put out, leaving only the house’s walls standing. The roof had collapsed by that time, and most of the inside was badly damaged. A truck parked at the entrance of the home was also damaged by the fire.

No injuries were reported on the scene.