LANSING —A family of five were forced out of their Piney Creek Road home by a fire shortly after 3 a.m. Tuesday.
That’s according to members of the Lansing Volunteer Fire Department and Patty Gambill, Ashe County’s director of emergency management.
The fire started in a home at 362 Piney Creek Road.
Jack Reedy of the Lansing Fire Department said the sleeping homeowner was awakened by a loud noise coming from around his wood stove and noticed the wall was beginning to burn around 3 a.m.
Firefighters from Lansing, Warrensville and New River Fire and Rescue were dispatched to the home. They stayed until just after 6 a.m. Reedy said.
No injuries were reported in the fire, according to Gambill, though the home was badly damaged. Gambill said the American Red Cross has been contacted for assistance, though the father and son told first responders they were staying with family.
Reach Hannah Myers at 336-846-7164 or on Twitter @cmedia_hmyers.