LAUREL SPRINGS-Firefighters from multiple departments braved the bitter cold Sunday morning to battle a blaze on Greenview Drive in Glendale Springs.
The structure fire, reported shortly before 10:15 a.m. on Feb. 14, was in the Laurelhaven subdivision just off Ebenezer Road. Smoke from the fire could be seen from as far away as Jefferson.
Volunteer firefighters from multiple departments, including Jefferson, West Jefferson, New River, Glendale Springs and Laurel Springs had to contend with temperatures close to 15 degrees fahrenheit and blowing snow.
Ashe County Fire Marshal Bob Davis said the home, at 480 Greenview Drive, belonged to Darrel Hamilton. Hamilton and family were at home at the time of the fire, which is believed to have started in the chimney.
The occupants were able to escape the home, but firefighters worked for more than five hours in frigid conditions to extinguish the fire. Davis said the home is a total loss.
There was a bright spot for the men and women who gave up much of their Sunday fighting the fire. Laura Cox, who is affiliated with the Glendale Springs Fire Department, offered up thanks to the team at Hardees in Jefferson for helping to fuel the fight and offering the fire crews a discount on their meal.
“Thanks to Hardee’s of Jefferson for preparing a large call-in order on Sunday for (all the fire departments),” Cox said. “I know everyone greatly appreciated it.”
Davis said the structure fire remains under investigation. Reach Adam Orr at 336-489-3058 or Twitter.com/AdamROrr.