Nobody resided in house at the time of fire

Last updated: January 30. 2014 2:50PM - 7079 Views
By - jpetty@civitasmedia.com



A Wednesday afternoon fire on U.S. 221 was responded to by Jefferson, New River and West Jefferson Volunteer Fire Departments.
A Wednesday afternoon fire on U.S. 221 was responded to by Jefferson, New River and West Jefferson Volunteer Fire Departments.
Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

An electrical heater is believed to be the cause of a house fire which occurred on U.S. 221 near Greensboro Road on Wednesday afternoon.


“We believe the probable cause was an electric heater that was a wall unit that mounts in the bathroom,” said Bob Davis, fire marshal of Ashe County. “(The fire) went through the wall and into the attic.”


The fire was called on through the scanner at approximately 12:20 p.m. Wednesday afternoon. The fire was at 5194 U.S. 221 and had a Crumpler address.


Nobody resides at the residence, which was a rental house owned by Jeff and Linda Badger of Jefferson. Davis said the renters had moved out of the house sometime in December.


Davis said the sub-zero temperatures could have played a factor in the fire. As far as damages, he believes the house is totaled.


“I would say the house is totaled, but it’s up to the insurance company to determine that,” Davis said.


Volunteer Fire Departments from Jefferson, New River and West Jefferson fought the fire. Ashe County Sheriffs controlled traffic on the highway.


Davis said the fire departments also called in Blue Ridge Electric to disconnect the house’s power from the transformer while fighting the blaze.


Another structure fire took place on Pine Mountain Road near the N.C./Tennessee border Wednesday Afternoon. Creston, Pond Mountain and Warrensville VFDs, and the Ashe County Rescue Squad responded.


Wil Petty can be reached at (336) 846-7164 or on Twitter @WilPetty

Comments
comments powered by Disqus


Featured Businesses


Poll



Mortgage Minute