Ashe County put up a fight against rival Wilkes Central, but the Eagles held off a scrappy Husky squad to take a 57-46 victory.
Senior Anderson Moore had his best game of the season for the Huskies, pouring in 13 points and adding a pair of rebounds.
Fellow senior Jordan Spell scored 11 points and snagged five rebounds. Johnathan Cox scored five points, Eli Gambill scored five points and pulled down three rebounds, Cullen Ashley scored four, Seth Sheets added three, Devan Sheets added three and Matthew Lee rounded out Ashe’s scoring with two points.
The Huskies fell to 5-12 overall and 4-6 in the Mountain Valley Athletic Conference. Wilkes Central improved to 11-4 overall and 9-1 in the MVAC.
Ashe will play three games this week. The team traveled to Starmount on Monday to take on the Rams. The Huskies hit the road again on Tuesday to go to East Wilkes and will return home to host Allegany on Friday.
1. Elkin: 13-5 overall, 9-0 conference
2. Wilkes Central: 11-4 overall, 9-1 conference
3. North Wilkes: 9-7 overall, 5-4 conference
4. West Wilkes: 7-10 overall, 4-5 conference
5. Ashe County: 5-12 overall, 4-6 conference
6. East Wilkes: 5-11 overall, 3-6 conference
7. Alleghany: 4-11 overall, 3-6 conference
8. Starmount: 3-13 overall, 2-7 conference
9. Forbush: 2-12 overall, 2-7 conference