The Board of Health plans to meet on Tuesday, June 19 to discuss the potential selling of its interest of High Country Health Care System Home Health and Hospice.
“High Country Health Care System is private and nonprofit, but the majority owner is the Appalachian District Health Department,” said Beth Lovette, executive director.
According to Lovette, the Appalachian District Health Department owns 66.5 percent of High Country Health Care System, while Ashe Memorial Hospital owns the remaining 33.5 percent.
At this point, there are no known potential buyers but the board plans to discuss the potential sale of its shares more thoroughly at the meeting.
If the Board of Health members determine they want to adopt the resolution to sell ADHD’s shares in High Country Health Care System, there will then be a public hearing scheduled that will be advertised and open to the public. At that point, people can share their thoughts and comments.
“We want this to be a very public process, with the goal being to have a solid plan to assure that the excellent care provided by High Country Health Care System will continue long into the future,” added Lovette.
Hospice feels that whatever happens will be in the best interest of everyone involved.
“High Country Health Care System employees are focused on providing compassionate care and support to the residents of the High Country,” said Mary Fran Knight, executive director. “We have trust in our board to act in the best interest of our employees and patients to continue this mission.”