Commissioners to discuss Fleetwood Fire, Phillips property on Monday
Tennis team wraps up regular season
Ashe County Crash Report April 4-April 26
Superintendent: Sheriff failed to follow proper protocol
DSS salaries released
- The Ashe Files - 9:00 am updated: 2:07 pm.
- Commissioners to discuss Fleetwood Fire, Phillips property on Monday - 2:00 pm
- Ashe County Crash Report April 4-April 26 - 12:00 pm
- Superintendent: Sheriff failed to follow proper protocol - 2:12 pm
- DSS salaries released - 3:32 pm
- The Power of An Attorney - 2:00 pm
- Sheriff says school board doesn’t like his ideas - 12:02 pm
- County closer to new fire training center, middle school - 11:45 am
- Suspected Crumpler shooter taken into custody - 11:11 am
- Accident slows traffic in West Jefferson - 4:20 pm
- UPDATE: ACSO looking for self described gangster following Crumpler shooting - 1:58 pm
- ACSO tight-lipped on alleged Crumpler assault - 10:55 am updated: 11:30 am.
- Support builds to save Fleetwood School - 1:15 pm
- ACHS’s Turner prepares for summer abroad - 2:00 pm
- ‘Coffee with a Cop’ serving up second cup - 12:00 pm
- Sheriff said Williams is behind records request - 11:20 am
- Sheriff discloses Houck settlement in shooting case - 10:00 am
- The cost of doing business - 2:00 pm
- Fire training facility could be coming to Beaver Creek - 12:00 pm
- Ashe County Arrest Report April 1 – April 12 - 3:50 pm
- Courting History: Helton Academy - 11:30 am
- Ashe County Wildlife Club Hosts First Pistol Shoot of 2017 this weekend - 9:25 am
- On the taxpayers’ dime - 4:55 pm
- Public hearing Monday morning for financing of new middle school - 2:20 pm
- Growing pains - 2:50 pm updated: 2:54 pm.
Accident slows traffic in West Jefferson
WEST JEFFERSON- A two-car collision on Jefferson Avenue/U.S. 221 Business Wednesday afternoon resulted in only minor property damage.Both drivers of t...
UPDATE: ACSO looking for self described gangster following Crumpler shooting
JEFFERSON-Authorities are searching for a West Jefferson man after he allegedly shot another man in Crumpler Monday night.That news comes from Ashe Co...
ACSO tight-lipped on alleged Crumpler assault
JEFFERSON-Ashe County Sheriff Terry Buchanan declined Wednesday to release details regarding a reported aggravated assault on Tom Fowler Road.“I...
Support builds to save Fleetwood School
JEFFERSON-With the pending destruction of the former Fleetwood School property that sits inconspicuously below U.S. 221, at least one local resident h...
ACHS’s Turner prepares for summer abroad
JEFFERSON-Most high schoolers spend their summer breaks hitting the river or dipping their toes into the work world.Ashe County High School’s El...
‘Coffee with a Cop’ serving up second cup
WEST JEFFERSON-Local law enforcement will serve up its second helping of Coffee with a Cop April 28 on the Backstreet in West Jefferson.The informal s...
Ashe golfers qualify for regionals
ROARING GAP — The Huskies will join Wilkes Central in the 2A Midwest Regional next week after finishing as the second best 2A team in the Mounta...
Huskies compete in Blue Ridge Invitational
ASHEVILLE — Ashe County was one of 54 schools from five different states to compete in the 15th annual Blue Ridge Classic at AC Reynolds High Sc...
Husky sports briefs
Softball earns another winRONDA — The Ashe County varsity softball team made it two wins in a row with an 8-5 victory over East Wilkes.Freshman ...
Ashe tennis sweeps North Wilkes
WEST JEFFERSON — Despite playing without their top two seeds, the varsity tennis team had no problems with North Wilkes on Thursday, winning all...
New River Marathon set for May 6
BOONE — One of the most popular High Country running events will get underway on Saturday, May 6 along the banks of the New River.The annual New...
Huskies win two of three
WEST JEFFERSON — The varsity baseball team is well on its way to closing the regular season out strong before the conference tournament and stat...
Letter to the Editor: Commissioners are right to fight asphalt plant
The lead articles in the Jefferson Post, “On the taxpayers’ dime” (April 14, 2913) and “The cost of doing business” (Apr...
State Spending Doesn’t Boost Growth
RALEIGH — There are just as many fads in politics as there is in other fields of human endeavor, from entertainment to home remedies. Speaking o...
The idea of “fake news” is really nothing new
Everyone seems to be talking about fake news these days. Enabled by social media, its originators deal in hoaxes and disinformation. The objectives va...
Craft brewers vs. Big Beer
Back during World War II, the US Army held military exercises called maneuvers in Anson County. My grandfather had a peach farm in Lilesville and also...
House bill would bring NC abortion law in line with U.S. Supreme Court ruling
With all that’s happened politically over the least several months, it’s easy to forget there was a major U.S. Supreme Court decision last...
Don’t Fear A Robot Invasion
RALEIGH — A common theme unifying recent debates about tax reform in North Carolina and in Washington is the idea that the punitive tax treatmen...