JEFFERSON — Ashe County Parks and Recreation recently announced that they are in the process of starting a flag football program for children ages eight and under.
The league is being offered as an alternative for kids that do not want to play full tackle football.
Teams will play local teams from inside the county as well as teams from Avery County and Watauga County.
The registration fee for playing this year is $40.
ACPR has already released a set of rules that each player and team must comply with during the inaugural season. Those rules are:
1. No one may play for more than two years in the U8 Flag Football League.
2. No player will be allowed to practice or play unless a completed registration form with a parent’s signature and the registration fee has been submitted to the parks and recreation office.
3. Practice will be up to the volunteer coaches but are limited to four team meetings per week.
4. All games will be played at Ashe Family Central, Watauga High School and Avery Middle School.
5. Games will be on Saturday mornings and occasionally on weekday evenings. Games start with scrimmages at the beginning of the season and progress to regular season games.
6. Participants must wear the issued game jersey and flag belt.
7. Players are require to wear a colored mouth piece. Clear and white mouthpieces are not allowed.
8. Players may tape their forearms, hands and fingers. Players may also wear gloves, elbow pads and knee pads. Braces with exposed metals are not allowed.
9. Each player’s jersey must be tucked into their pants/shorts if they hang below the belt line. Pants/shorts with belt loops or pockets must be taped.
10. The color of shorts/pants will be announced at the first practice.
If you have any questions about the flag football league, please call Ashe County Parks and Recreation at 336-982-6185.
Nathan Ham can be reached at 336-489-3062.